May we recognize our need for you, Lord, for our salvation and continually through our sanctification.
How much do I need God? I am surrounded by messages all day long that hinder this recognition. We have built a nation with hard work, perseverance, knowledge, strength, and opportunity. I am so appreciative of my freedoms, that as a woman I was given the opportunity to have a formal education and that I can live how I desire. These freedoms, however good, can disguise my need to know God. Distraction after distraction. Flesh maintenance. Helping others. Doing good things. Each leave me with an emptiness that needs to be filled. Filled with more. More doing? More distractions? Until I daily come to the place where I, my abilities, my gifts, my offerings, even my obedience is completely dead- where my sole focus is on God, His sovereignty, His will and His Spirit... where I can rest in knowing my creator and Heavenly Father- only then do I feel peace. When I realize that God is at work, that I desire to join Him in His work by the power of His Holy Spirit.
So often we think that God bends to our wills, that He joins us in what we are doing. That He will answer our prayers because we have chosen to be Christians. How prideful! How arrogant and self-serving! Ephesians 1:11-13 says In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined, according to the purpose of him who works all things to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. It is He who chooses us, it is His will, and it is for His glory. I must submit my all to him. He has called me with such an overflowing amount of grace that nothing else this world has to offer can quench the thirst that I have for Him. Romans 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. What are the things of the spirit? In Galatians 5, Paul speaks to the flesh and spirit warring against each other. He goes on to say in verse 22 that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
Help me, Lord to recognize my need for you to give me life everyday. I am dead in my own works. I need your Spirit to breathe freshly on me everyday, so that the works of your Spirit may flow out of me. When I am battling my flesh, help me run to you. When I do not understand why bad things are happening to people whose hearts desire you, help me to remember that we are here for Your Glory, that our lives may be an offering of glory continually flowing from You and back to You. Lord, forgive me when I focus on myself, when I take my eyes off of You, when I think that I can do anything good on my own efforts. I want to rejoice in You. Rejoice that You have chosen me to bring glory to Your name. How you love me and redeem me! How great, how mighty, how powerful and how beautiful You are. Thank you for Your love and for Christ- my righteousness, and for Your Holy Spirit who is at work in me transforming my heart...
No comments:
Post a Comment